With extensive experience in environmental law primarily at a top-tier international law firm in Los Angeles (Norton Rose Fulbright, formerly Fulbright & Jaworski LLP) and an undergraduate degree in Applied Ecology (joint degree in environmental studies and biology), Pat understands the complexities of environmental issues and offers insightful solutions to her clients' legal needs. Indeed, Pat is consistently recognized by Chambers USA as an exceptional Environmental Law practitioner in California due to her pragmatic approach and cost effective-strategies. Pat works with both private industry and public agency clients on environmental and land use issues including both litigation and transactional matters in the areas of hazardous and solid waste, air quality, water quality, water rights, and land use. She has litigated and is currently litigating a number of complex Superfund (CERCLA), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Proposition 65, and NPDES permit cases and provides regulatory compliance counseling to corporations and public agencies. In addition, Pat is a LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional) and advises clients on redevelopment issues and general environmental issues concerning mergers and acquisitions. Pat also frequently testifies before and negotiates with various federal, state, and local agencies with respect to environmental regulatory and compliance issues. She is an effective liaison between clients, environmental consultants, and agencies, and negotiated numerous favorable settlements in civil and administrative actions.
- Chambers USA 2022 – Ranked among the best Environmental Law practitioners in California: Patricia Chen of PC Law Group is a respected practitioner who covers entitlement and contamination issues, as well as Proposition 65 compliance. “Pat Chen is detail-oriented, knowledgeable and very easy to work with. She has an in-depth understanding of land use and environmental regulations, in particular related to CEQA, RHNA and water-related issues. She is truly outstanding in her knowledge and communication skills.” “Pat is a client-service focused attorney with deep domain expertise in environmental law and a wide network within the industry.” https://chambers.com/lawyer/patricia-j-chen-usa-5:328702
- Chambers USA 2021 - Patricia Chen is a respected practitioner who covers entitlement and contamination issues, as well as Proposition 65 compliance.
"She is pragmatic, very responsive and resourceful." "She is professional and personable and knows how to get to yes in negotiations. She is careful, thorough, and has good instincts for tactical planning in order to achieve success."
- Chambers USA 2020 - Patricia Chen is described by clients as "extremely knowledgeable; she is up to date with current cases and good at strategizing, providing insightful analysis and quality service." Her practice covers entitlement and contamination issues as well as Proposition 65 compliance.
- Chambers USA 2019 - Patricia Chen routinely handles matters pertaining to contaminated properties, climate change and hazardous waste. One client states: "Patricia is particularly good at applying her knowledge with intense focus. She gets to the issues quickly and then initiates the best resolution," while another adds that she is "smart, responsive and is truly outstanding in her knowledge and communication skills."
- Chambers USA 2018 - Patricia Chen of PC Law Group is known for her work advising clients on a variety of regulatory compliance and litigation matters. She acts for both private clients and public agencies and is recognized for her knowledge of land use matters.
- Chambers USA 2017 - Patricia Chen of PC Law Group counsels clients through a wide array of regulatory compliance and litigation matters. She stands out for her knowledge of land use issues and frequently acts for both private clients and public agencies.
- Chambers USA 2016 - Patricia Chen of PC Law Group gains her clients' full praise through her thorough investigation of options, streamlined approach to getting results, and broad knowledge of environmental regulatory matters and litigation.
- Chambers USA 2015 - Clients are quick to praise Patricia Chen for her deep expertise in CEQA matters, noting that she is able to translate the complexities of recent case law into specific directions. She is also commended for her "easygoing, practical manner in addressing complex, contentious situations."
- Chambers USA 2014 - The "clear, concise, and focused" Patricia Chen of PC Law Group works on a variety of matters, including water and air quality, Proposition 65, green chemistry, and hazardous materials and contaminated properties. "Her presence on the environmental team has caused project timelines to be shortened and costs to be reduced," states one client.
- Chambers USA 2013 - The impressive Patricia Chen of PC Law Group handles work relating to green chemistry, hazardous materials, air and water quality and Proposition 65 for such clients as the Southern California Association of Government and the City of Oceanside. "She is a very experienced environmental lawyer for private firms and public entities. She is smart, pragmatic, detail-oriented and focused on problem solving," sources say.
- Chambers USA 2012 - [Patricia Chen] comes highly recommended for her broad-ranging environmental and land use expertise and is particularly well known for litigation involving CEQA, CWA, Proposition 65 and CAA issues.
- Chambers USA 2011 – Patricia Chen emphasizes her representation of public and private entities in environmental and land use matters. She also provides compliance advice on California’s Green Chemistry Initiative.
- Chambers USA 2010 - Environmental and land use attorney Patricia Chen . . . is "a talented, observant strategist.”
- Chambers USA 2009 – ranked “Up and Coming” among Environmental Law practitioners in California. “Patricia Chen . . . is esteemed by clients for her superb grasp of the law and drafting skills.”
- Chambers USA 2008 – ranked “Up and Coming” among Environmental Law practitioners in California. Market sources commented: “Most impressive is her ability to quickly penetrate an issue, apply statutes and case law and give us advice as to an effective course of action.”
- Southern California Super Lawyer (Environmental Law), Los Angeles Magazine (2015-2017, 2022)
- “Rising Star,” Southern California Super Lawyers (Environmental Law), Los Angeles Magazine (2004 - 2012)
- “The American Dream is Alive and Well in Los Angeles,” Rising Star profile, Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars edition (2005)
- California State Bar Environmental Section Executive Committee Member (2004-2007) and Adviser (2007-present)
- Southern California Gas Company v. South Coast Air Quality Management District, 200 Cal. App. 4th 251 (October 27, 2011)
- City of Irvine v. Southern California Association of Governments, 175 Cal. App. 4th 506 (June 30, 2009)
SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Environmental Due Diligence in Real Estate Transactions," Co-Chair of seminar sponsored by Law Seminars International on January 11, 2017
- "Navigating California's REACH, aka, the Green Chemistry Initiative," ABA Natural Resources & Environment Retail Edition, Vol. 26, No. 4, Spring 2012.
- “Sustainable Development: Moving Beyond Green Building Toward Sustainable Building and Sustainable Master Planning”, Webinar Co-Sponsored by the Environmental and Real Property Law Sections of the California Bar, May 2010
- “CEQA 2008: New Directives from the Court and Legislature,” UCLA Extension, Public Policy Program, Land Use Law and Planning Conference, January 2009
- The Impact of Climate Change on Land Use: A CEQA Perspective,” University of California at Irvine, Focus the Nation, January 2008
- “Anatomy of a Successful Redevelopment Project: How Did They Do It?" Los Angeles County Bar, Real Estate Section Seminar, Los Angeles, December 2006
- “All Appropriate Inquiries and the New Phase I Standard,” Environmental Law Seminar, Houston, Texas, April 2006
- “State Environmental Case Summaries,” Environmental Update Seminar, Los Angeles, March 2006
- "CERCLA Update 2004," Environmental Law Seminar, Houston, Texas, October 2004
- "California: Will the Environment be Recalled, Too?" Environmental Law Seminar, Houston, Texas, October 2003
- "New Amendments to Superfund: Brownfields and Prospective Purchaser Agreements," Environmental Law Seminar, Houston,Texas, September, 2002
- "Doing Business in California: Beware of Prop 65," Environmental Law Seminar, Houston, Texas, October 2001
- "TMDLs: Riding the Tidalwave of Litigation Towards New Regulations," Environmental Law Seminar, Houston, Texas, May 1999
1998 - J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law
1994 - B.S., Applied Ecology, University of California, Irvine
1990 - Punahou High School, Honolulu, Hawaii